From: Butner, Robert S [mailto:butner@BATTELLE.ORG]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 12:44 AM
To: 'Daniel N. Webster '; 'p2tech@great-lakes.net'
Subject: RE: First Law of Thermodynamics, Nuclear

Dan --

As I recall my sophmore thermo, there is no "but..." in the first law; the
effect of the general theory of relativity is to link the conservation of
energy and of mass via Einstein's famous E=mc^2; hence energy and matter are
conserved even in nuclear reactions, where a small amount of mass is indeed
converted to energy ("lost" in the pre-relativistic sense).
Because of the large value of c^2, the amount of mass lost in producing
energy is extremely small but nonetheless finite.  For example, conversion
of 1 gram of matter to energy releases the equivalent of nearly 10^14
Joules, or approx 27.8 million kwHr.

Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
Pacific NW National Laboratory
Richland, WA  99352