Re: Why doesn't industry try energy efficiency?

Burton and all,

For those of you interested in energy efficiency, there is an energy
management system much like enviromental management
systems available for companies and organizations to implement.

The Management System for Energy (MSE) was developed by
Georgia Tech after realizing that many companies use fire fighting
techniques and technology to address energy issues. Putting in a
MSE lessens the energy crisis mode of most organizations. For
most people energy waste is tolerated until it reaches crisis
proportion and then they act instead of managing.

I believe that ANSI has now approved this as a standard.

As an EMS (ISO 14000) implementator, I am convinced that
energy like quality and environmental can use a management
system. Even our university has seen the increase in utility costs
and is calling for no more space heaters, turning off of lights when
not is use, etc. All this actions are only stop gap measures  that
will not help in the long run.

Kirsten

From:           	"Burton Hamner"
<bhamner@cleanerproduction.com>