Fwd: Good state-only compliance assistance programs?

-- BEGIN included message

If you can suggest a state or two, please respond to Shirin directly.  Thanks.

----- Forwarded by Emily Chow/DC/USEPA/US on 01/26/2001 08:58 AM -----
Shirin Venus

01/25/2001 03:48 PM

        To:        Emily Chow/DC/USEPA/US@EPA
        cc:
        Subject:        Good state-only compliance assistance programs?

 Emily-

I am working on a project for OPPA known as the 'Tools Evaluation Project' in which we are producing a document that profiles a series of federal and state programs using enforcement, compliance incentive, and compliance assistance tools to address environmental problems stemming from poor compliance.  In each profile we try to draw out the 'lessons learned' by the practitioners as to the use of the tools and factors which contribute to their success in order to help practitioners successfully select and implement the tools in other scenarios.

I am having some difficulty identifying state-only programs to profile.  Tim Titus of ECOS indicated that one of you might be able to suggest a state compliance assistance program which is particularly successful or notable that would be a good candidate for the project.

In order to be a good candidate for the project, the state's program should have been implemented for a sufficient period of time to have produced some indication of the efficacy of the strategy.  Karin Leff has already suggested Portland, Oregon's program for auto shops but I am trying to identify a few more.  If you have any ideas of state-only programs that would be worthwhile for me to look into, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,
-Shirin

Shirin Venus
Attorney-Advisor
EPA Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance
Office of Planning and Policy Analysis
ph:  (202) 564-0177
fax: (202) 564-0017
<venus.shirin@epa.gov>