INQUIRY: Design Guidelines for Safe Design of VOC Recovery/Abate mentSystems?

Folks --

A colleague has inquired regarding publications (online or otherwise) related to the Process Safety aspects of VOC recovery and abatement technology.  Specifically, he is looking for design guidelines for the inherently safe design of such systems.  This could include general design strategies, equipment selection and sizing equations, checklists, etc.  The application is to VOC recovery in chemical manufacturing process facilities -- batch and continuous.

I would appreciate it if any readers aware of relevant documents would reply to this list (or to me directly) with suggestions on where to find such information.

Regards,

Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
Co-Director, ChemAlliance
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory