re: P2 for Printing Money

Reply to P2Tech Listserv Inquiry:

To answer part of the original question.  Most paper currency is printed
with a web fed Rotogravure (a.k.a. Gravure) printing press.  For more
information about Gravure printing and P2 I suggest you visit the Printers'
National Environmental Assistance Center's web site at www.pneac.org.

Additionally, having previously worked for a Gravure printing company (no
we did not print currency) I may be able to answer subsequent specific
questions regarding process and P2 options.

Debra Jacobson

>From: "List Manager" <listman@wmrc.uiuc.edu>, on 01/30/2001 9:23 AM:
>To: SMTP@RCHMD.01@Servers[<p2tech@great-lakes.net>]
>

> >Forwarded on behalf of Mr. Burton Hammer:
> >
>I've had a request from someone at a national bank in Asia who wants to
>know about P2 and waste mgmt options for the national money printing
>operations.  I volunteered to recycle their unwanted money but they would
>rather go further up the pipe.  I suppose our own US treasury must be
>doing some EMS and P2 work on printing since they are fed facilities
>covered by the various exec orders.  I don't know what kind of printing
>ops are used for money, is it lithography, offset, or
> >whatever.  If I can get that info I can use the many printing P2
> resources for those processes.  Any leads or refs would be greatly
> appreciated, thanks a lot.
> >
> >Note - it might not be wise to announce that you have lots of experience
> printing money yourself...
> >

> >*********************
> >Burton Hamner
> >www.cleanerproduction.com