Re: Horse Manure and Wood Shavings

Kirsten, John

I, too, thought 50 lb/day was high  - but then I have teenagers who do the
scooping.

In any case, 50 lb/day or 8 ton/year/horse seems like a good number - or 5
pounds o' poop/hundred body weight for a working horse.

I mentioned the issue at home, and was given three articles from the  8/00,
01/01, and 02/01 issues of "John Lyons' Perfect Horse"periodical - these have
tips for the horseowner who owns significantly less than 5000 horses in one
spot.  The January article is probably the best for your interest.

I also did a quick search at the "Manure Matters" website - run out of UNL here
in our region - they have an article that promises to be of help
http://ianrsearch.unl.edu/manure/v1n10_95.htm   That article suggests you
contact:

Rick Koelsch
218 LW Chase Hall
University of NE
Lincoln, NE 68583
(402) 472-4051
bsen126@unlvm.unl.edu

He's also a good source for the other issue:  watershed protection

let us know if you need more

cheers,

ry
Director, P2RIC