Re: who's your dream speaker?-Reply

Rick:

I second Ray Anderson. Probably the best environmental presentation by a
former "non-environmentalist". He one day had an "epiphany" after being
stumped by how to show environmental stewardship for his company. His
awakening came from reading a book called the "Ecology of Commerce" that a
friend gave him to help him wrestle with his problem, which as a
businessman and the head of a large corporation, he had no idea how to
address. Interface is now the leading recycler of carpet fibers in the
world and they are now making millions of pounds of carpet out of waste
that would otherwise to populate the nation's landfills. His presentation
sends chills down your spine and tears to your eyes-all in a low key
Southern style that makes one's emotional reactions even more astounding.
He'd be a great draw-think of the marketing opportunities of his message!

Warren

>Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 06:54:16 -0800
>From: "David Hartley" <DHartley@dtsc.ca.gov>
>To: <p2tech@great-lakes.net>, <Rick_Yoder/CBA/UNO/UNEBR@unomail.unomaha.edu>
>Cc: <nin@great-lakes.net>
>Subject: Re: who's your dream speaker?
>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>id JAA49284
>
>Rick:
>
>Ray Anderson of Interface Inc.  gives a great presentation on
>sustainability and how he restructured his carpet business to conserve
>natural resources and eliminate waste at the source.   He may not be well
>known to your school but his message and presentation are worth the effort
>to try to book him!  Try contacting him at 770-437-6801.    Let me know if
>you get him because I will attend!
>
>DH
>
>Dave Hartley, Chief
>P2 Clearinghouse, DTSC/OPPTD
>P.O. Box 806
>Sacramento, CA 95812-0806
>
>Phone  (916) 324-1815
>Fax       (916) 327-4494
>
>E-Mail   dhartley@dtsc.ca.gov

>Hi, all,
>
>A bit of idea mining, if you have  a moment (and sorry for the cross post)
>
>Our campus has a speaker program, and is willing to consider a P2 related
>speaker for their september time slot if we meet these two criteria:
>
>A name well known to the general public  (And here I thought Amory Lovins would
>be a natural, but they weren't so sure)
>An excellent speaker (they suggested Mario Cuomo, but I don't know how well he
>would do on P2-related issues)
>
>I'd like your help in finding the right name that we can tie to P2 - which as
>you know is an issue that can include
>- Energy efficiency,
>- Resource efficiency,
>- Systems thinking,
>- Innovative problem solving
>
>You collective recommendations would be welcome.
>
>regards,
>
>ry

wjw5@psu.edu

Warren J. Weaver