Re: Small Business Survey Questions

Ted,

Its a shame that it wasn't finalized and published after a draft was
completed in 1996, but EPA's Office of Solid Waste, Waste Minimization
Branch produced a nifty little document called "A Review of the Waste
Minimization/Pollution Prevention Needs of Small Quantity Generators and
Small Businesses". It was a summary of 21 surveys and consultations of
small businesses done by federal, state and local programs across the
country prior to 1996.

Last year, I asked the folks in the Waste Min Branch if anyone could locate
the document, and the said that no one had it anymore.

Does anyone on the listserve have it electronically posted anywhere? It was
done by the SAIC office in Reston, VA. (SAIC, if you have it, please send
it to me for posting).

Ted, I will Fax you the key findings, but to give you a flavor of the
summary's conclusions:

"Businesses need and want industry specific literature that identify cost
effective ways to save money. Businesses want to avoid the cookie cutter
approach that federal and state agencies have utilized to create brochures.
Many of the brochures are so general that they are of no use to small
businesses. It is essential that the literature explain industry-specific
requirements very clearly so that businesses understand their role."
(Amen!)

If I get a little extra time I'll see if I can get it posted and let
everyone on the listserve know where it is.

Best...

Leif Magnuson
Pollution Prevention Coordinator
US EPA Region IX, WST-7
75 Hawthorne St.
San Francisco, CA  94105
Tel (415) 744-2153
Fax (415) 744-1680
magnuson.leif@epa.gov
www.epa.gov/region09/p2

                    "Lange, Ted"
                    <lange@montana.edu        To:     "'p2tech@great-lakes.net'"
                    >                         <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    owner-p2tech@great        Subject:     Small Business Survey Questions
                    -lakes.net

                    01/31/2001 03:14
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    "Lange, Ted"

The Montana Department of Environmental Quality is drafting a survey that
will be sent to a wide range of Montana SMALL business owners, and they
have
asked our P2 program for input on what questions should be included.  The
survey's goals are to identify small business needs for technical and
regulatory compliance assistance, as well as their overall perspectives on
how regulations and regulatory agency actions effect their operations.  An
objective of the survey is to determine how best to market P2 technical
assistance to small businesses.

Have similar surveys been conducted anywhere else?  If so, what questions
were asked, what responses resulted, and what was learned?

Ted Lange
Pollution Prevention Program
Montana State University Extension Service
P.O. Box 173580
Bozeman, MT 59717-3580
406-994-6813 (phone) / 994-5417 (fax)
lange@montana.edu