FW: Recycling at the National Zoo

Per our postmaster, my prior message may not have reached all of you.
Please excuse if you received this message earlier.		Jo Anne
-----Original Message-----

From: Gordon, Joanne 		Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 9:40 AM
To: 'adess@nzp.si.edu'; 'Denise Rayborn'
Cc: Hursh, Carl			Subject: RE: Recycling at the National Zoo

Hello Susan,

Please look at the PA Department of Environmental Protection web site.
Start at http://www.dep.state.pa.us  .  Choose the Subjects button located
near the bottom of the page.  Click on the letter R, then Recycling /
Recycling Site Map.  Scroll to Commercial Recycling and choose Commercial
Recycling Tip Sheets.  This page has a list on the left side which leads to
some "How to" information and Commercial Business case studies.  The
"Outdoor Events" link should provide some ideas; for example, the stadium at
Penn State University, a dairy operation and other businesses may help you.
Since you know your operation, you may find more ideas beyond my suggestions
as you explore the entire PA DEP Recycling site which includes waste
reduction.

In addition, you may want to contact some universities that specialize in
agriculture for more livestock related recycling.

Beyond recycling, you may want to look at pollution prevention and energy
efficiency measures.  Water conservation measures with low flow devices may
provide an opportunity for considerable monetary savings and environmental
benefits.  To find more about waste reduction go back to
http://www.dep.state.pa.us and Choose the Subjects button located near the
bottom of the page.  Click on the letter P, then Pollution Prevention and
Compliance Assistance.  Scroll to Governor's Award Running Totals then Past
Winners (located near the bottom of the page).  Review of some of the
winners' ideas may be useful.

An energy savings consideration may include capturing waste heat from one or
more operations.  A hotel plumbed water lines to capture heat vented from
clothes dryers In order to capture.  The captured heat at this particular
hotel heated the swimming pool.  Your facility may be able to capture waste
heat to heat animal quarters, water for cleaning operations, or other.

Best wishes on your "going green" efforts.

Jo Anne Gordon       PA DEP - OPPCA  15th FL, RCSOB   P. O. Box 8772
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8772
Voice   717-787-0121    Fax   717-783-2703     E-mail  joagordon@state.pa.us

Please visit our Web Site:   http://www.dep.state.pa.us

Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting.  We allow them
to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value.
--     Buckminster Fuller

Register Now
- Summit for Volunteer Water Monitors
- Feb. 23-24 State College