Re: paint formulation info

Vanessa:

Based on my experience, a lot of the information you are asking for is on the manufacturer's technical spec. sheet for a paint.  I hate to say it, but as a consultant asking for this information, I have rarely had a problem getting this info.  On those occasions that I did have a problem, I had the client get the info from their supplier.  Sometimes they would rather deal with the company that is purchasing the material then someone they don't know (they don't know if you are their competitors).

Just my two cents.  I hope it helps.

Mike Reece
O'Brien & Gere Engineers, Inc.
39830 Grand River Avenue, Suite B-2
Novi, MI 48375
Ph:  (248) 426-8970, Ext. 212
Fax: (248) 426-8997
reeceml@obg.com
http://www.obg.com

>>> "Vanessa Hinkle" <vanessa.hinkle@epa.state.oh.us> 02/20/01 02:05PM >>>
I work in the Ohio SBAP helping small companies complete air permit applications. I'm having trouble getting all the paint formulation information I need for the applications. The MSDSs are not specific enough. For example, they usually do not provide some of the following information:

1. A solvent composition break down in percent by volume;
2. % by weight of any HAPs or other air toxics;
3. Solids content and organic solvent content in % by weight and volume; and
4. organic solvent density and water content % by volume.

I have called the paint manufacturers' technical information lines and they are not very helpful. Some will not return my calls and some say that they do not provide air permitting assistance for their customers. So, I am going to have to ask the company to get this information from his supplier and hope he has better luck.

My question is, "Why am I having such a hard time getting the paint supplier to cooperate with me?" has anyone else run into this problem? Is it because I am calling from the government? Would it be easier if they thought I was an independent consultant?

Vanessa Hinkle
Ohio EPA
Division of Air Pollution Control
(614) 752-0728