Examples of reuse or recycling of sulfuric acid or solvents

Forward from a colleague here in Region 9. You can respond to me or to him
directly at jones.davidb@epa.gov

John Katz
P2 Coordinator
EPA Region 9
katz.john@epa.gov

----- Forwarded by John Katz/R9/USEPA/US on 02/20/2001 04:02 PM -----

                    DavidB Jones
                                         To:     John Katz/R9/USEPA/US@EPA
                    02/20/2001           cc:
                    03:58 PM             Subject:     Examples of reuse or recycling of
                                         sulfuric acid or solvents

     I am participating in a training session for the semiconductor,
Printed Wire Board, and electronics industry which will be discussing
cleaner production techniques as well as dealing with hazardous wastes that
are apparently stacking up in drums with limited disposal alternatives.
Rick Reibstein from Region 1 will be a co-presenter.  We are going to
fashion our presentation going right down the pollution prevention
hierarchy, starting with pollution prevention, waste reduction, and on-site
recycling.  I am going to cover off-site reuse, recycling, and disposal
options (the lower end of the ladder).

      What I would like to do is give some examples of how acids
(particularly sulfuric acid), solvents, or metal hydroxide sludges (RCRA
F006 sludge in this country) are being reused or recycled in this country
(examples are not limited to this industry sector)  Based on my experience
in this sector, I know that some F006 sludge is going to copper smelters,
that some acids are being used as feedstock to replace virgin acids in some
manufacturing processes, and that many solvents are being distilled (at a
RCRA TSD facility) or burned for BTU value. Therefore what I would like to
find out is:

1.   Examples of how acids (particularly sulfuric acid) is being reused or
recycled.

2.  Examples of how solvents (particularly those in the electronics
industry) are being reused and recycled.