RE: Examples of reuse or recycling of sulfuric acid or solvents

John,

*	One local wire mill supplies (or at least used to supply) a
publically owned wastewater treatment plant with waste sulfuric acid to
replace the use of ferric chloride in the treatment process.  I THINK the
ferric chloride, and/or sulfuric acid, are used for phosphate removal.

*	A local metal finisher (electroplater) uses his waste caustic to
neutralize waste acid, or vice versa, in his captive pre-treatment system..

*	Two other possibilities come to mind for re-use of sulfuric
acid...pending the level of contamination (I really think anyone wanting the
waste acid for uses other than wastewater treatment would be very concerned
about contaminants already in the waste):
	1) waste acid could be used as a neutralizing agent in an air
scrubber system, and
	2) the waste acid could be used for cleaning reaction vessels and/or
transfer lines in manufacturing plants using batch reactors (or used as a
caustic neutralizing agent if caustic is initially used for cleaning).
	One plant of which I am aware maintains a large tank of caustic
(24,000 gallons of NaOH) for cleaning reactor vessels.  Each caustic
cleaning is followed by an acid neutralizing step.  (The caustic is pumped
into reactors for cleaning then back to the main tank.  The acid is used to
neutralize anything remaining in the reactor prior to discharge.)

Ric