Dye testing

John,

I don't think the dye will work. For one thing, how would you add it to the
oil? This might work on a grab sample, but would be almost impossible for a
flowing system. Perhaps a UV/IR system of some type would allow you to see
the oil more readily. I don't have any vendor names but I do know such units
are used by refineries to monitor their outfalls.

As for identification, it sounds like you are dealing with a heavy mineral
oil. It could be from a cleaning operation or a leaking transformer. A good
oil lab could run a profile for you and match it against some known
standards. I would also look into analyzing the residue since they will
probably lead you closer to the source. For example, the residue might be an
additive unique to a specific product formulation.

Just some thoughts,

Mike.callahan@jacobs.com