Compilation of responses for shared savings inquiry

List members --

Thanks to the many who took time to send suggestions regarding my post yesterday about shared savings programs.  I have summarized a couple of the best, below.

Though it's not exactly what I was looking for,  I'd also like to thank those who took time to point me towards the DOE's Energy Savings Performance Contracts (ESPC) program (http://www.eren.doe.gov/success_stories/femp_espc.html).  I should have pointed out that the colleague is an Energy Economist, who is already very familiar with the FEMP program, so his main interest was in looking at how the shared savings model (which, as at least one respondent pointed out, is "old news" in energy circles) translates to environmental services in general and P2 in particular.   I appreciate all the responses.

Hopefully by compiling and adding some notes below I have made an interest payment on the karmic debt I owe to all of you!

SB

New Paths to Business Value: Strategic Sourcing--Environment, Health and Safety.
GEMI (this is the doc from which I put pages on your door yesterday)
http://www.gemi.org/newpath.pdf

Short case studies and some overview analysis of shared savings approaches.  Case studies include Motorola outsourcing onsite chemical management to Ashland Chemicals, Eli Lilly outsourcing research laboratory chemical inventory management to a vendor,  and General Motors outsourcing of chemical management (initially -- 1987 -- at the Romulus, MI plant and eventually in other facilities).  The report also documents outsourcing of energy services to Johnson Controls.

Innovative Chemical Supply Contracts: A   Source of Competitive Advantage,
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center, TR-31 (September 1997).
T. Bierma and F. Waterstraat

ordering info via: http://www.wmrc.uiuc.edu/library/publications/hwrictr.htm

Several shared savings case  studies contained therein.

Chemical Strategies Partnership
http://www.chemicalstrategies.org/

The Chemical Strategies Partnership (CSP) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in San Francisco, CA. The Pew Charitable Trusts (Pew) established CSP in June 1996 with subsequent financial support from the Heinz Endowments, US EPA Sustainable Development Challenge Grant Program, and the San Francisco Foundation. CSP is a cooperative program between Pew, Heinz, and partner companies.

The web site has a number of useful resources related to Chem management business models, including a manual which "provides step-by-step instructions on how to evaluate, design, and  implement a comprehensive program and is available free to manufacturing firms."  (http://www.chemicalstrategies.org/Tools_Manual.html)

Most importantly, the site has a number of case studies located at http://www.chemicalstrategies.org/Resources.html.  Case studies include those from

Delta Air Lines, Inc. / Interface LLC Chemical Management
General Motors Truck and Bus Plant / BetzDearborn
Navistar Engine Plant / Castrol Industrial North America
Raytheon Systems Company / Radian International LLC
Ford Taurus Assembly Plant / PPG/Chemfil
Chrysler Neon Assembly Plant / PPG

A list of bibliographic citations on the subject located at http://www.chemicalstrategies.org/Resources_publications.html. There's no point in replicating these resources here, since the CSP site does a very good job.  However, of particular note IMHO is the following article:

Servicizing the Chemical Supply Chain,"
Resikin, White, Kauffman-Johnson and Votta
Journal of Industrial Ecology, Volume 3, Number 2. Winter 2000.
http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/JIEC/JIE3.23_Reiskin19-31.pdf

Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
MS K6-04