Re: Marine fuel oil - Benzene and VOC emissions

By Marine fuel oil, are you meaning what we call #6 or bunker C fuel oil in
the U.S.?   This is a high boiling range distillate that is typically
heated before burning in a boiler.   It would have no benzene or VOC's in
it; these are found in much lower boiling distillates like gasoline and
possibly diesel fuel.

Contact the supplier of the fuel to the storage facitily for a
specification on the marine fuel oil.   Important is the boiling range and
flash point.   If you see the initial boiling point at 400 degrees F or
above, you can expect no benzene or VOCs.

Craig Stead
Putney, Vermont