Re: Marine fuel oil - Benzene and VOC emissions

Greg...

Marine Fuel Oil is heavier than Diesel fuel but not appreciably, so you
could calculate an approximate value for VOC (Volatile Organic Material)
emissions, in tons of Volatile Organic Material (VOM) / year) from Marine
Fuel Oil storage operations by using this equation: (# gallons
throughput/100,000,000) x (control factor), where control factor = 0.10 if
all tanks are underground, and submerged loading and vapor recovery is in
use ; 0.15 if any two (all tanks are underground, and submerged loading and
vapor recovery is in use) ; 0.20 if any one ( all tanks are underground,
and submerged loading and vapor recovery is in use) ; or use 1.00 if NO
controls are in use.

Benzene of course shouldn't be present in Marine Fuel Oil and hence its
emissions should be zero.

Should you have further questions please contact a former colleague of mine
Mr. Gordon Croudace, Managing Director, The Environmental Group, PTY, LTD,
9 Packard Avenue, Castle Hill, N.S.W. 2154 Australia;  Phone: (02) 899 3499.

Gordon's company is a world renowned VOC controls systems engineering
controls group for Marine Fuel Oil  storage facilities around the world.

>Hi Everyone
>
>We are currently working with a fuel storage facility trying to utilise
>emission factors (US EPA TANKS software) to estimate VOC and benzene
>emissions from fuel storage tanks.  We have been unable to find literature
>values for marine fuel oil, apparently because benzene and VOC contents are
>so low in this fuel type.  Can anyone provide guidance or direct me to a
>good reference?  Thanks in advance, Greg
>

>Greg Newman
>NSW Environment Protection Authority
>PO Box 513, Wollongong NSW 2500
>Ph: (02) 42268100, Fax: (02) 42272348