Fwd: Re: Leather Tanning Shavings

I sent this reply to Erin and thought the entire listserv should be aware
of the valuable resources on leather tanning that are on the ICPIC web site.

Gary

.
>Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:51:28 -0500
>To: "Erin" <ecallagh@engr.uga.edu>
>From: Gary Miller <gmiller@wmrc.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Leather Tanning Shavings
>
>Have you checked out information on the ICPIC (International Cleaner
>Production Information Clearinghouse) web site?  They have a large number
>of fact sheets pertaining to pollution prevention in leather tanning.  The
>URL is:
>
>http://www.emcentre.com/unepweb/tec_case/leather_19/material/casename.shtml
>
>Gary Miller
>

>At 10:58 AM 04/10/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am working with a reptile tanning facility. They shave their skins to get
>>the right thickness in the leather. Does anyone know of technology out there
>>that can glue or press the shavings back together to make a leather product
>>that can be stamped to look like aligator skin? This would be a cheaper form
>>of reptile leather but it would create a product that can be sold and not
>>landfilled.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Erin Callaghan
>>
>>Public Service Representative
>>Engineering Outreach Program
>>University of Georgia
>>Phone: 706-542-4626
>>Fax: 706-542-8806Erin Callaghan
>>Public Service Representative
>>Engineering Outreach Program
>>University of Georgia
>>Phone: 706-542-4626
>>Fax: 706-542-8806

Gary D. Miller, Ph. D.
Assistant Director
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Department of Natural Resources
One East Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820
http://www.wmrc.uiuc.edu/