Fwd: EMS and P2

The International Organization for Standardization boldly points out that
ISO 14001 and its companion standard, ISO 14004, are copyrighted documents
and you must purchase them to read them.  I like to make money just as ISO
does so I purchased them.  So having read the ISO documents (and not some
biased article telling you what you could read if you had your very own
purchased copy), I have come to realize that you only have to have an
INTENT to implement "THE PREVENTION OF POLLUTION" (as you know defined to
include end-of-pipe treatment).  As an aside, I purchased four ISO
standards for $177 - over $3.70 per page including blank pages that they do
charge you for.

Cam Metcalf has written a great chapter on how to implement a P2 program
using an EMS.  It will appear as Chapter 6 in the new EPA P2 manual that
should be released in July of this year.  You should contact him to see if
there are any P2 results with the companies he has worked with in Kentucky.
 There are others that know how to make ISO work well with regard to P2.
Maybe they will be able to post P2 results for us to see.  However, one
wonders how many "minimalist" implementations there will be with companies
being forced into ISO 14001 by their customers.  Remember that you do not
have to actually do P2 to get certified in ISO 14001.  A mention in your
policy statement will probably surfice for many certifiers.  Remember that
ISO 14001 is a conformance standard, not a performance standard.
<http://www.pojasek-associates.com/Reprints/IESU_Forum.doc>  This is a
distinction that you should become aware of.

Green Zia (New Mexico Environment Department) offers organizations a
"prevention-based" EMS alternative to ISO 14001. You can get more
information on PERFORMANCE STANDARDS like Green Zia in an article I wrote
for ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT.
<http://www.pojasek-associates.com/Reprints/EQMPerformance.htm>  You can
check out the New Mexico Environment Web Site to get more information on
the Green Zia Program <http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/>  See the information
posted on the Green Zia Recognition winners to see if they list P2 results.
 By the way, you do not have to PAY anyone to read the Green Zia Guide.
Don't let ISO find out about that!  Furthermore, Green Zia has lived by its
own commitment of continuous improvement by changing the program every
year.  ISO 14001 hasn't chaged much, if at all, since it went out to ballot
in 1995.

Maybe you will reframe your question again next year, only include Green
Zia instead of ISO 14001.

Bob Pojasek

>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>
>Aha--a chance for a discussion on whether EMSs actually cause P2 or
>environmental improvement!  Does anyone have any data that shows that
>ISO 14000 certification and/or implementation of an EMS can be linked to
>implementation of P2 or other environmental improvement?  This is a
>topic of ongoing debate here in CA.
>Thanks,
>Kelly Moran
>TDC Environmental