Re: mercury thermometer hazards

Title: Re: mercury thermometer hazards
I agree with Kelly's assessment.  From one who has spend extensive time working in and with healthcare facilities, it is the spill potential that makes mercury-use/mercury-in-devices the real issue (though I've never heard of any analysis of the hazards in making mercury-containing devices, but I'll bet they are not benign).

The current Hg fever (pun intended) is it's ubiquitous-ness, ease of replacement and symbolic emblem for all things mercury-containing.  Fever thermometers remain the standard device for measuring temperature in the home.  People relate more to fever thermometers than sphygmomanometers - blood pressure cuffs - for example, and they are a big spill problem in healthcare settings (and not cheap to replace).  Fever thermometers are also used in veterinary offices (and yea, those critters don't stay still a lot and yea, those glass rectal thermometers break a lot).  I haven't seen basal glass-mercury thermometers in a long time, but I also can't say definitively they are no longer on the market.

A few direct and indirect clean up costs for a facility (think of these as approximate; the numbers are not recent and probably differ in different locations):

If someone has recent/more complete costs for the above – please post onto the listserv.  Costs are very persuasive information in trying to make changes.

Hg fever thermometer replacement is easy to do – I think that’s the real reason it has become the focus of a lot of public pressure.  Hopefully the same zest will become the focus of other easy-to-retire and replaceable, hazardous, commonly used, and publicly accepted devices.

Good questions asked by all on the listserv.  -Stephanie
      Stephanie C. Davis
 WASTE REDUCTION REMEDIES
sm
1497 Hopkins Street #2D