Re: refineries

I've done P2 assessments at several refineries.  At each another person and
I spent 2 days.  I felt like we barely scratched the surface.  These are
very complex facilities with many interdependant processes and operating
constraints.  I think the 2 main things that refineries can look at are
leak prevention and reducing wastes generated during change outs.  For leak
prevention  you need somebody who really knows the refinery and has
credibility with the workers.  that person needs to go process by proces
(and fitting by fitting).  It can take 2 or more years to complete this but
the savings can be well worth it.

We published a report on this topic titled "Pollution Prevention for
Chemical Processes: A Handbook with Solved Problems for the Refining and
Chemical Processing Industries"  by David Allen and Kirsten Sinclair
Rosselot.  If you'd like a copy it's $5.  We are getting it digitized and
will put it online but that will take a month or so.  Hope these thoughts help.

Gary

At 03:21 PM 05/17/2001 -0600, Dana Codell wrote:
>I will be visiting two oil refineries next week to conduct energy
>efficiency and pollution prevention assessments.  As of yet, I do not
>know a lot about the equipment and practices involved in the refining
>process.  Any information regarding potential improvements that can be
>made in the process, or ideas on what I should look for during the
>assessments (P2 and E2 opportunities) would be a great help.
>
>Thanks,
>Dana Codell
>Industrial Assessment Center
>Colorado State University

Gary D. Miller, Ph. D.
Assistant Director
Illinois Waste Management and Research Center
Department of Natural Resources
One East Hazelwood Drive
Champaign, IL  61820
http://www.wmrc.uiuc.edu/