re: refineries

Dana, et al.--

Please don't forget other energy opportunities such as lighting.  While not
necessarily specific to refining, there's the example of a Premcor Refinery
in Port Arthur, TX that plans to save approximately $172,000 per year in
electric energy costs by using low glare, fully shielded, lower wattage
lights.  See item in the International Dark-Sky Association June '01
newsletter at http://www.darksky.org/ida/newsltrs/40-49/nl45.html .

IDA http://www.darksky.org/ and the Virginia Outdoor Lighting Taskforce
http://www.volt.org/ are good sources for information on outdoor lighting
efficiency.  Those organizations are interesting in protecting a threatened
resource--the dark starry night--from light pollution.  But from a more
conventional P2 perspective saved energy means reduced air emissions as well
as water and waste impacts.

DOE has some resources and programs for steam, compressed air, and pumps and
motors.  See http://www.oit.doe.gov/bestpractices/ for some resources,
software, and other tools the refineries may find useful.

I hope this is helpful.

Rodney Sobin
Innovative Technology Manager
P.O. Box 10009				629 E.Main St.
Richmond VA 23240-0009		Richmond VA 23219-2429
rsobin@deq.state.va.us
Tel. 804-698-4382
Fax 804-698-4264
http://www.deq.state.va.us