Re: how long does it take to ramp up a program

Freda,

You raise an interesting and difficult question because it is not clear when a program can be said to be "ramped up".  In pollution prevention we often talk about continuous improvement and, in my view, pollution prevention programs have only scratched the surface in most organizations.  We want quick, cheap and easy answers but to truly make a difference it takes time, significant investment and hard work.  Perhaps the best model to try and answer your question is with the agriculture extention programs at universities.  A good discussion of this and other examples of implementation of change is in E Rogers book "Diffusion of Innovations" 4th edition, Free Press, New York, 1995.  If you study that book I think you will begin to undertstand what it takes.

Gary Miller