Re: ingredients in household cleansers

At 04:38 PM 7/1/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm working on a project for the NRDC where the goal is to mount a web page
>that people can visit in order to answer some questions about the pesticides
>and cleansers they use in their home (or pay to have used).  The website
>will then calculate the visitor's personal toxicity score and give them some
>helpful tactics for reducing their score.  (Hopefully, the site will
>eventually be expanded to include other home exposure items as well as local
>and global toxics.)
>
>At any rate, in order to arrive at this personal toxicity score, we're
>assigning the toxic ingredients found in cleansers and pesticides a value
>that represents their degree of toxicity (a long story in and of itself).
>I'm having a heck of a time relating these ingredients back to brand name
>products.  Can anyone point me to a database of household cleansers and
>their ingredients?  Cleansers have active ingredients listed by % on their
>label, but I'm hoping we can find a comprehensive source for this
>information.
>
>Thanks a bunch.
>
>-Kirsten
>
>===============================
>Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
>Process Profiles
>P.O. Box 8264
>Calabasas, CA 91372-8264
>
>rosselot@ix.netcom.com
>http://www.processprofiles.com
>
>(818) 878-0454
>===============================

Hi Kirsten,

I can offer three resources for this interesting project.

1.  The Institute's Surface Cleaning Lab has a lot of information, and
indeed a database, of cleaners, including those used in industrial
houskeeping.  Contact Jason marshall at Jason_Marshall@uml.edu

2. P2Oasys is a spreadsheet software program we created for comparing
toxicities of various chemicals.  It may shorten your work.  Contact Mike
Ellenbecker at ellenbec@turi.org

3.  The Technology Health and Environment Library at the Institute has
chemical databases and reference resources that may be able to fill in
where other sources have holes.  Contact the librarian mary Vidal at
Mary_vidal@uml.edu

I hope this helps!

Janet Clark <clarkjan@turi.org>
Associate Director for Information