UV coatings on magazine covers

Dear colleagues on the P2-Tech and Recycle lists,

        The Journal of Industrial Ecology is considering changing the printing process for its covers because the current technology is not very durable (the colors drop out, in spots, over time).  UV coating has been suggested by our printer.  I know that, at one time, UV coatings were a substantial problem in the recycling of magazines.  Is this still the case?  Granted the Journal has archival value so it should not be headed for the waste stream (or so I like to hope...), but nonetheless we'd like to be careful about this.

        I'd welcome any info you have about UV coatings, both with regard to recyclability and on other environmental dimensions.

Thanks,
Reid Lifset
Editor,
Journal of Industrial Ecology

Reid Lifset
Editor, Journal of Industrial Ecology
School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
Yale University
205 Prospect Street
New Haven, CT  06511-2189  USA
203-432-6949 (tel)