RE: P2 ROI / savings info

A little over a month ago I posted the email below, and had a few requests
for the responses I received (from 10 individuals).  Here they are next to
each of the bullets.  Perhaps the lack of info out there on ROI and savings
realized can be a further discussion point.  You will see that there are a
lot of valuable resources describing P2 opportunities, but very little solid
info seems to be available on financial aspects.  Thanks for all of your
input.

Best regards,
Tom Battagliese
EHS Management Systems Associate
TLI Management Consultants
1 Penn Center, Suite 1705
1617 JFK Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: 215.557.3175
Fax: 215.568.4386

www.tlisystems.com

on 6/22/01 12:28 PM, Battagliese, Tom at TBattagliese@tlisystems.com wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> As part of a statewide strategic EMS development for PennDOT, we are
> exploring P2/E2 opportunities based upon an audit sampling of PennDOT
> facilities that we have been working with PA DEP on. We are currently
> compiling a P2/E2 guidance manual for PennDOT, and we are finding very
> little resources pertaining to potential savings and ROI from certain P2
> projects. The P2 areas in the list below are areas that should have some
> sort of quantifiable return and savings, but we are lacking detailed
> information. Does anyone have any information on ROI/savings
(environmental
> and economic) on these aspects?  Thanks in advance for your pointers.

*    Green landscaping
		1. Green landscaping, Integrated Pesticide Management, and
green chemical use are can fall under Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
(EPP).  The U.S. EPA has a Web site with links and case studies to local and
federal programs with success stories.
		http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/epp/
---------
*    Integrated Pesticide Management, Natural / biological pesticide
practices, and similar Pesticide Mgmt Practices
		1. There are EPP document case studies with information
about cleaning products and integrated pest management.
		http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/epp/doccase.htm
		2.  I can't think of anyone that has done a cost comparison
before and after
		implementing IPM. Some say that IPM programs can reduce
costs for those that
		eliminate the practice of spraying chemicals on a regular
basis. However,
		others argue that those costs are redirected at preventative
measures, such
		as training employees, conducting regular inspections for
pests, and
		investing in building and landscaping improvements. There is
a web site
		dedicated to roadside IPM:
http://www.forester.net/ec_0004_integrated.html.
		Maybe there are some documents or contacts listed that might
be of help to
		PA.
----------
*    Green Chemical Use / Chemical Replacement (since this is vague, I am
particularly focusing on vehicle maintenance fluids and janitorial
maintenance products)
		1. There are EPP document case studies with information
about cleaning products and integrated pest management.
		http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/epp/doccase.htm
----------
*    Paper Reduction (e.g. through Intranet development, computer and
electronic document management training,
		1.  I have been working on 2 office paper reduction pilot
projects.  Both pilot
		projects confirmed what other studies have found -- the
costs of using paper
		far outweigh the cost of the paper itself.  A useful web
site to check out
		is the ReThink Paper site at
http://www.rethinkpaper.org/index.html.  It was
		developed by Earth Island Institute and contains lots of
useful information
		about paper and paper reduction.  Go to Toolbox - Paper
Reduction -
		Efficient Use to find a good article on paper efficiency by
Bruce Nordman.
		The article describes how to construct a Paper Usage and
Cost Inventory that
		includes the costs of using paper.  Once you have this
information for a
		given site, then you can calculate the ROI for various
reduction activities.

		Keep in mind that the Paper Usage and Cost Inventory
presented by Mr.
		Nordman does not include handling/labor costs associated
with using paper.
		If you are able to estimate these costs (not an easy task at
all), the cost
		of using paper rapidly skyrockets.

		2. See OEA's Office Waste Paper Reduction Kit. I believe it
addresses the cost to buy a
		duplex printer or copier and how quickly those costs can be
made back.

		3. See MN's EPP Guide, Chptr 4-2. The success story
highlights how much
		money the Clearinghouse saved by reusing envelopes.
		http://www.swmcb.org/EPPG/4_2.htm

		4.  P2 Week Campaign on Paper. Highlights this case study
from Itasca County:
		"The Itasca County courthouse in Grand Rapids saved 212
reams of paper by
		copying on both sides of the paper This action prevented
1,060 pounds of
		waste which would have to be discarded or recycled, and
saved $740/year
		without including savings in disposal costs."
----------
*    Green Building Practices
		1. For the Green Building aspect, check out Pennsylvania's
Governor's Green Government Council at
http://www.gggc.state.pa.us/default.htm.  It has a High Performance Green
Building section that has case studies about successful projects in
Pennsylvania that might give you some answers.
		2. There are pilot projects for Building and Materials,
Office Products, Energy use and etc.
		http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/epp/pilotchartproducts.htm
----------
*    Enzymatic and/or Aqueous Parts Washers
		1. For solvent conversion to aqueous parts washers, check in
with the IRTA in California.  Here's a web site with their newsletters.
http://home.earthlink.net/~irta/newswint.htm
		You could also have a librarian do a literature search on
Dr. Katy Wolf who has published articles about work IRTA has done on solvent
alternatives, which usually includes cost-benefit data.
		2. Parts Washing Options
		See the fact sheet in MN's EPP Guide
		http://www.swmcb.org/EPPG/7_3.HTM
----------
*    Vehicle Maintenance Fluids (e.g. use of antifreeze recycling systems,
on-board filtering, etc.)
		1. There is some excellent information on aqueous parts
washers and antifreeze developed by epa region 9. It is on the web at:
http://www.epa.gov/region09/cross_pr/p2/autofleet/factauto.html.  (Had many
aspects.)
		2. Anti-Freeze Recycling
		See the success story highlighted under MN's EPP Guide:
		http://www.swmcb.org/EPPG/7_2.HTM
*    Closed-loop Vehicle Wash Facilities
* General response to above: I'd refer him to the OFEE Web site.  They have
some of the information he's seeking----www.ofee.gov