Re: Exams for P2 knowledge?

If you find such exams, please share them with me in Region 2.  Thanks.
diane

Diane D. Buxbaum, MPH
US Environmental Protection Agency, Region 2
Compliance Assistance and Program Support Branch
290 Broadway, 21st Floor, East
New York, New York 10007
212-637-3919 (fax 212-637-4086)

                    Burton Hamner
                    <bhamner@cleanerprodu        To:     p2tech <p2tech@great-lakes.net>, ONE-L
                    ction.com>                   <ONE-L@CLVM.CLARKSON.EDU>, AP CP List
                    Sent by:                     <apcpnet@tei.or.th>
                    owner-p2tech@great-la        cc:
                    kes.net                      Subject:     Exams for P2 knowledge?

                    08/31/01 12:31 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Burton Hamner

Howdy all.  I am looking for some examples of good exams or tests of basic
knowledge of P2 principles that are appropriate for local government staff
learning how to promote P2 to business.  We have been building a team of
such folks in the Philippines for several years, now they want to test
themselves!  They are all senior city officials, most of them are the
personal advisors of the mayor.  (our project website is
www.cleancities.net)

I have considered giving them a case study, for example:  If you are the
mayor's "go-to" guy, what could you do about a local food processing
company is polluting the local river badly but employs a lot of people and
the owner is probably married to the mayor's second cousin and the local
enviro officials are so badly paid that a $10 bribe makes them go away.
Like the real world.  With such a case exam I might ask the participants
themselves to grade the answers by having each person give a short
presentation about what they would do, and have the group discuss the
proposed solution.  I won't tell them that I plan to have the person with
the best answers take over the training.

However a good multiple-choice test might also be good, and easier for them
to cope with.  They are not used to taking tests, they are mostly
50-year-old wise guys or city technical managers.

As always I will be happy to post an edited compendium of any responses.
Thanks!

Burt Hamner