RE: Needing statistics for Al and paper recycling

Kirsten,
Below is a list of statistics we gleaned from various sources. We used it to
develop a "Recycling Quiz" our employees could take on Earth Day to test
their recycling knowledge. It was well received...George

Recycling one ton of paper saves 20 trees.  And it saves the equivalent of
4100 kwh energy, 7000 gallons of water, 60 pounds of air emissions and 3
cubic yards of landfill space. Paper can be recycled up to 7 times.

Each year, 223 pounds of corrugated cardboard is produced per person.

Sixty four percent of post consumer cardboard is recycled.  (If pre-consumer
scrap is included, the recycling rate is 73%.)

Only 2.5 quarts of motor oil can be extracted from a 42-gallon barrel of
crude oil,.  (It takes only one gallon of used motor oil to retrieve the
same 2.5 quarts.)

Making new aluminum cans from used cans takes 95% less energy then what is
needed to produce one virgin can.  Twenty recycled cans can be made with the
energy needed to produce one virgin can.

Recycling one aluminum can save enough energy to run your television for 3
hours.

Recycling one glass jar saves enough energy to light a light bulb for 4
hours.

The average American uses approximately 130 steel cans per year.

The percentage of steel cans recycled in 1996 was 58 %.