FYI: Call for Papers - MSWG

Please excuse the cross posting.
ry

Hosted by:
Multi-State Working Group on Environmental
Management Systems

Co-hosted by:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
University of Florida, Center for Training, Research and Education for
Environmental Occupations (TREEO)

CALL FOR PAPERS

Learning Together Workshop 2002

? Moving to Higher Environmental Performance Using EMS and Other Tools

? June 3 - 4, 2002

Wyndham Orlando Resort
Orlando, Florida

--------------------------------

? ABOUT THE SPONSOR
MSWG is an organization that convenes government, non-government,
business and academic interests to conduct research, promote dialogue,
create networks and establish partnerships that improve the state of the
environment, economy and community through systems-based public
and private policy innovation.
Since 1998, MSWG has sponsored an annual workshop, each June or
July, with support from EPA and businesses. It is a "hands-on" event
that hosts EMS practitioners from the U.S. and abroad. The workshop
has grown to almost 300 at our largest workshop.
The 2002 workshop is June 3-4 in Orlando, Florida at the Wyndham
Orlando Resort. We are seeking abstracts from authors around the
following themes. For more information about MSWG and previous
workshops, please visit www.mswg.org.
? WORKSHOP THEME
Business and government have an imperative to move to higher levels
of environmental performance. The workshop will contain several
sections that address recent activities, trends and tools to achieve this
high performance, including:
? Environmental management systems, and lessons from early adopters
? EMS registration trends and challenges
? Performance metrics, including environmental, economic and social
factors and business values
? Regulatory initiatives incorporating EMS and other performance
enhancing tools
? Transparency and increasing stakeholder involvement
There is an increasing desire by stakeholders to understand and influence
environmental performance. There are several questions that we seek
to answer:
? How can we better define and meet the expectations of our
stakeholders?
? What steps must industry take?
? What kinds of measurement and reporting practices would
government, industry, public facilities, NGOs or academics propose
as useful in public policy? What is the relationship between external
communications and the internal functioning of EMSs?
? What is the international experience with the promotion of higher
environmental performance levels and/or improved project planning
(whether through the utilization of EMSs or otherwise)?
? What are the performance enhancing tools available to government,
business and the public interest sector such as EMS, strategic goals,
market tools, partnerships, incentives, performance reporting and
strategic enforcement?
? What catalyst role must government play to promote higher
performance and transparency?
? What environmental improvements have been realized within
specific sectors such as automotive, agriculture, universities, federal
facilities or others?
? What are our continuing experiences with the benefits with EMS
implementation?
? WORKSHOP PARTICIPATION
To be considered, a one-page abstract should be submitted to
MSWG via its Web-based abstract submittal form by October
31, 2001. Please visit the MSWG Web site at www.mswg.org for author/
presenter submittal information. Authors whose abstracts are selected
will be notified by e-mail by December 14, 2001. Accepted abstracts
will be published on the Web on or before January 31.
Abstracts should be sent to:
William T. Engel, Jr., Ph.D.
University of Florida, Center for Training, Research and
Education for Environmental Occupations (UF/TREEO)
3900 SW 63rd Blvd., Gainesville, FL 32608-3848
phone: (352) 392-9570, fax: (352) 392-6910 or
e-mail: bengel@treeo.doce.ufl.edu
Workshop registration information may be found on the MSWG Web site
at www.mswg.org. For information on the workshop or information about
becoming a sponsor, contact workshop co-chairs Bill Engle, Jr., Ph.D.,
University of Florida, TREEO, (352) 392-9570, bengel@treeo.doce.ufl.edu
or Douglas B. Johnson, Ph.D., Environmental Intelligence, Inc., (612) 387-
3430, douglasbjohnson@earthlink.net.

(See attached file: C.doc)
(See attached file: C.pdf)

=?iso-8859-1?Q?C.doc?=