conversion of disposed tires into energy

I received a strange inquiry from South America dealing with the conversion
of disposed tires into energy. The client wanted to know what are the
issues related to this type of conversion. In addition, the client wanted
to know if there were any best management practices available for this sort
of process.

To convert disposed tires into energy requires a great degree of energy
itself, not to mention the adverse impact it will have on the environment.
Does anyone have information for this individual? Burning tires to create
energy is really not an option I would recommend, but perhaps we could
assist this individual with the appropriate information so that a reduction
in emissions can be achieved.

Raul E. Gonzalez
Program Manager
Southwest Pollution Prevention Center
University of Texas at El Paso
500 W. University--Burges Hall 4th floor
El Paso, TX  79902
Ph: (915) 747-6273
Fx: (915) 747-5437
http://p2.utep.edu