Re: conversion of disposed tires into energy

Here in California, there have been major protests about proposals to
burn tires in cement kilns, and a lot of debate about a tire-fueled
power plant.  Protesters have raised environmental issues that include
emissions of persistent, bioaccumulative toxic pollutants, creation of
hazardous ash, and safety of storage piles.  Protesters have greatly
resented the comparison of emissions to emissions from an uncontrolled
fire at an illegal disposal site (even though such a fire occurred in
California).  Instead, protesters have pushed alternative uses for waste
tires (both those currently generated and those in illegal stockpiles).
This makes me caution those considering use of tires as a fuel
source--it may require a very difficult permitting process.

There are many beneficial re-uses of tires.  The use with the most
promise to take care of waste tires is rubberized asphalt, which (after
some initial mis-steps) has been perfected into a pavement suitable for
highways or side streets, and which provides a substantial noise
reduction over regular asphalt (I know of two California communities
that demanded rubberized asphalt for this reason).  I have seen data
that suggest that all waste tires generated in the U.S. could easily be
re-used each year in rubberized asphalt.

Kelly Moran
TDC Environmental