[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FW: ethanol recovery from process wastes
- Subject: FW: ethanol recovery from process wastes
- From: "Butner, Robert S" <butner@BATTELLE.ORG>
- Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:26:40 -0700
- Cc: "Eakin, David E" <email@example.com>,"Brown, Michael D" <firstname.lastname@example.org>,"Elliott, Douglas C" <email@example.com>,"Stiles, Dennis L" <firstname.lastname@example.org>,'Leo Pedersen' <Dantec@worldnet.att.net>,"Marvin Fleischman (E-mail)" <email@example.com>
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- List-Name: p2tech
- Reply-To: "Butner, Robert S" <butner@BATTELLE.ORG>
for any cross-postings
I received an inquiry recently regarding the recovery of "pot ale"
from whiskey production. Pot ale is the the liquor left in the still
after the first distillation of the fermented wort or mash (aka "Wash").
It contains dissolved solids including spent
yeast, residual alcohol, unfermentable solids, and fermentation
byproducts. Separable solids from this distillation are typically
recovered for land application or animal feeding but the liquid stream is harder
to find markets for.
person making the inquiry was originally looking for firms with process
engineering experience at recovering ethanol from the pot ale, but I think they
would be interested in any economically viable processes for converting this
material into a useful byproduct.
understand from my own research that in at least one instance, pot ales are
concentrated via evaporation into a viscous syrup, mixed with roughage, and fed
to cattle. In some areas of Europe, land application is also
applied. However, I would be interested in knowing of other
potential applications, and just as importantly, firms who have experience at
engineering such applications.
direct your responses to the list, or to myself. I will forward them along
to the person making the inquiry.
Scott Butner (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Scientist, Environmental Technology Division
Pacific Northwest National
PO Box 999, Richland, WA 99352