FW: Inquiry Regarding Chemicals Used in Photographic Processes

List subscribers --

I am forwarding the following inquiry regarding chemicals used in
photographic studios, labs and darkrooms back in "the old days."  If you
have information relevant to this inquiry, I would encourage you to reply
directly to Mr. Kofi Asante-Duah (Asante-DuahK@efdsw.navfac.navy.mil), who
originally posed the question to one of my co-workers.

P2TECHies, I know this is not even close to a P2 question, but I also know
that many of you have had the opportunity to work with photo developers over
the years and have accumulated some detailed knowledge of photographic
processes.  So I thought I'd send this request to your list as well.

Incidentally, as a former commercial photographer, my own recommendation is
get ahold of a copy of the Amateur Photographer's Handbook, which was a
mandatory book on every photographer's bookshelf well into the 1970's.  The
older editions had quite a bit of chemical formulary information including
the chemical make-up of nearly every developer, stop bath, fixer, bleach and
toner used during the era.  These chemicals included (in addition to the
silver salts and metallic silver found in spent fixer), selenium compounds
(used as toners for sepia toning and other toning operations); cyanide salts
(used as bleaches for brightening prints and overexposed negatives); and a
variety of reducing agents used in developers.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott Butner (butner@battelle.org)
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
MS K6-04