compost for VOC/odor control?

I recently visited a cigarette factory where they are concerned about the odors from tobacco, the neighbors are complaining about it.  They asked about odor control and I recall reading about the use of compost for VOC control; air is pumped through a compost bed from below and the bugs eat up the molecules of VOC/odor.  Does anyone have any references or sources on this?  I think EPA funded a small demo project on this in the early 1990s but can't find anything on it right now.  Seems like a nice low-tech and useful technology for managing stinks.

Burt Hamner