Re: Cleaner Production/Pollution Prevention greatest hits on CDROM

I am confused.  Is this a self-sustaining (dollar-wise) project?   Is
the $50 a profit from your effort?  Can you clear this up? Why can't we
just give it away?  It is really will be useful, can't we just spread it
around?

Anyway, my major contribution is a small one, and it is actually for you
to contact Marvin Stillman at Univ. of Rochester and Strong Memorial
Hospital.  They have a system there that has virtually eliminated all
mercury from both facilities through the elimination of the obvious and
the establishment of a committee that oversees any PO for any substance
that contains mercury and the need to show that there is no alternative
to that product. (716-275-2056)

(With apologies to Marv for not letting you know first.  diane)

Also, my Diane D. Buxbaum,  M.P.H.
Environmental Scientist
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency  Region 2
DECA/CAPSB
290 Broadway, 21 East
New York, NY 10007
phone: 212-637-3919
fax: 212-637-4086
email: buxbaum.diane@epa.gov

                    Burt Hamner
                    <bhamner@cleanerprodu        To:     p2tech <p2tech@great-lakes.net>, AP CP
                    ction.com>                   List <apcpnet@tei.or.th>, ONE-L
                    Sent by:                     <ONE-L@CLVM.CLARKSON.EDU>, Infoterra
                    owner-p2tech@great-la        <infoterra@cedar.at>
                    kes.net                      cc:
                                                 Subject:     Cleaner Production/Pollution
                                                 Prevention greatest hits on CDROM
                    10/25/01 02:57 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Burt Hamner

The response from the P2/CP community on the need for a CDROM on
"Greatest
Hits in Pollution Prevention and Cleaner Production and Sustainable
Business" has been very positive, so I am going to do it.  Yow, as if I
need
more to do.

You can help!  The intention of the CD is to make available the LARGER
P2/CP
publications out there that many (most?) people have a hard time
downloading.  It will NOT include fact sheets or short stuff that can
reasonably be downloaded.

Draft contents:

P2 and EMS Generic Manuals / Books
Industry sector manuals, including municipalities as a sector
Topical manuals:  Env accounting, design for envir, green purchasing, P2
training, etc.
Software:  env accounting and budgeting, building design, energy
efficiency,
slide shows on P2/CP,
Databases if I can find any that are downloadable (the Office of
Industrial
Technologies http://www.oit.doe.gov/bestpractices/databases.shtml has
such a
big database with over 7000 assessment results).

Now is your chance to suggest contents:  What do you recommend be on
this
CD?  Resources should be

a) legal for reproduction and distribution, with proper attribution
b) at least 100 kb in size, big enough that it is a pain for most people
download
c) "Significant", i.e. a relatively definitive/authoritative resource
d) the kind of thing you would want in a basic P2/CP library

Please note:  Big filesize does NOT mean "good".  Too many people are
now
putting out PDF files over 1 meg in size for download, then you find
that
the darn thing is really just a brochure with lots of pictures.  HELLO!:
Big files full of pretty pictures and little real content waste
bandwidth
and prevent distribution, so don't make them!

web
via a small shopping cart site we are setting up, you will be able to
order
it with a credit card for $50, including all postage etc, to anywhere
(including int'l).  We can also take checks, they will go through a
non-profit organization.  There will be a good volume discount.

I will put up a webpage with the draft contents list on my own website,
www.cleanerproduction.com, in a few days.  This will be based on what I
have
already (which is way too much, I am never going to read all this
stuff...)

So start sending your suggestions to bhamner@cleanerproduction.com.
There
will be a contest:  The three people who send in the most useful
suggestions
for content will get a FREE CD sent by me personally, anthrax-free.

Burt Hamner