Re: CD P2 Effort

Burt,

Good luck to you in your endeavor!   As any who visits to our P2 topic hub
- http://www.p2rx.org/ - will readily discover, many of the best resources
are only available in PDF format.  And while some organizations choose to
publish individual chapters in separate files to making downloading easier,
many others choose to put their 487 (or more!) page document into one file.

I'm fortunate enough to office with access to a T1 connection - but I
occasionally office from my rural home, where (until such time as i may use
a satellite connect) on the very best day i will have a 32K connection on
my 56K modem....  The topic hub represents my belief that the web can be a
grand tool for identifying and making accessible useful information, but i
recognize the value of your CD project for those who cannot access the web
and like to have resources at hand.

regards,

ry

********************************
Richard Yoder, PE
Director, P2ric.org
1313 Farnam St.   Ste. 230
Omaha, NE  68182

402-595-2381
fax: 402-595-2385
ryoder@unomaha.edu
http://www.p2ric.org
http://nbdc.unomaha.edu

                    "Burton Hamner"
                    <bhamner@cleanerprodu       To:     <Buxbaum.Diane@epamail.epa.gov>, "p2tech" <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
                    ction.com>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Re: CD P2 Effort
                    owner-p2tech@great-la
                    kes.net

                    10/31/01 01:07 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "Burton Hamner"

Re the CD with "P2's Greatest Hits", I don't want anyone to get the wrong
idea about what I am doing, let me explain a little more:

Diane Buxbaum wrote:

> I am confused.  Is this a self-sustaining (dollar-wise) project?   Is
> the $50 a profit from your effort?  Can you clear this up? Why can't we
> just give it away?  It is really will be useful, can't we just spread it
> around?

Yes, this is intended to be a small self-sustaining project that covers my
time in putting together a draft catalogue, managing a feedback and
suggestion process, designing an intelligent and useful final catalogue
structure, staying online for many hours to get the documents, writing an
annotated bibliography in HTML so people know what the docs are about,
creating an autoexec file so the CD runs when you pop in the drive,
fine-tuning the beta product, getting feedback on the beta product,
shopping
for a mass-production house and getting a first run of CDs (at my own
expense), setting up a website to handle requests and orders, developing
and
implementing a promotion plan, putting together a small
distribution/product
management space somewhere, purchasing CD mailers, writing a little
brochure
and copying it, buying postage, figuring out how much postage to put on
each
mailer (lots of int'l people have asked for the CD), actually taking orders
and managing the bank account, ensuring that orders are properly credited,
developing an audit trail so if someone does not get their CD we can either
find it or replace it or refund their money, figuring out what to do if
some
agency decides their non-copyright document is now copyright - after it is
on the CD, ensuring that all docs are indeed free for distribution, and
responding to relevant questions like this one.  As to "why can't we just
give it away?", just who is "we"?  Please note above tasks and that
eliminating the sales part does not eliminate most of the work.

I am doing this because most people in the world cannot get good P2 docs
off
the Internet.  I do little projects like this sometimes because they are
the
right thing to do for P2, but please note that I work for myself and no one
else is covering my time on this.  The CD itself will not be copyright.  If
anyone wants to copy the thing and give it away themselves, after I have
done all the design and production, well I can't stop that nor do I want
to.
Go for it.  Don't forget your task list.

Burt Hamner