solvent for gripper installation

Dear P2techers:
I'm working with a tool company using toluene to soak a soft plastic
handle before sliding it on a metal tool handle.  Tools are mostly
pliers and such.  The client says the toluene "stretches" the
plastic, although I think it may just soften it, making it easier to
slide onto the tool handles.  Does anyone have experience with this
type of application and know of a different material that may work
here?  My first thought is heating the handle in a soapy solution
from the inside (like a test-tube washer system) and then sliding it
on...
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Sherry Davis