RE: solvent for gripper installation & RE: Solvent Substitution Website

Sherry

A soapy solution is a good thing to try - my suspicion however is that the
soapy residue will stay and either it will make the handles easy to come
off also - for a long time,  or there may be appearance problems or worse,
corrosion problems over the long term.  but it is simple to try and
environmentally friendly so give it a try.
Other similar materials that are likely to have similar pros & cons are
glycerin and lubricant for feeding electrical wire through conduit during
electrical installations.

Next steps
Toluene has a number of problems so finding less hazardous solvent also has
advantages.
1. try mineral spirits, or a terpene - both should evaporate over a
reasonable time, so there should not be problems with residues.
2. do a search on http://www.solventcentral.com/ to look for other solvent
alternatives

Jeff Lewis was looking for responses on Solvent Central two weeks ago.
 Here are my observations
It was a nice lead to a new web resource - Thanks Jeff
The site is a chemical solubility modeling service where you enter the
current solvent used (what works now) and describe your application.  The
site responds with the best 10 substitute solvents (or you can ask for 2 or
3 component mixtures) with similar solubilities.  A perfect application for
Sherry's question.
The downside is model does not by default account for any environmental
factors,  so a user needs to go an extra. and tedious step of checking
health data afterwards to determine if you would really want to use the
suggested alternatives.
The Solvent Central model does allow the user to filter the results using
the Hazard Management Information System (HMIS) ratings for health, fire
and reactivity as a first heath/environmental factor screening cut, but it
is far from a final answer.
I have used the site to look for alternatives to methylene chloride
strippers and have hopes we may be able to test one or more of the
alternatives so I may have more feedback later.

Sincerely,
Karl DeWahl
MnTAP / University of Minnesota
612-624-4645