Re: Tellus Institute & EPA Environmental Accounting Project

I know the value of having some dollar figure on P2 projects.  I also know
that I have seen very worthwhile P2 projects die while people were busy
spending months and much money getting better economic numbers to satisfy
some guideline (like the EPA guidelines!)!

My point has to do with emphasis.  If we delay good P2 that will protect the
environment and not cost significant money, while we spend our intellectual
effort generating better accounting numbers, then we have met the enemy and
he is us.  (to quote Pogo).  We should have the emphasis on doing good P2
and using accounting numbers only where necessary to get projects approved.
I know of several corporations that have required tight accounting numbers,
taking months to get, as a delaying tactic on doing the P2 that should be
done but that has, by good BOE (back of envelope) at worst case a small
incremental cost (less than 1/10 of one percent increase in product cost).
In fact, the accounting effort cost more that the P2 project would have over
its lifetime.

This is the ultimate in foolishness.  Good numbers are OK (after all, I have
taught graduate level statistics).  However, good numbers should not be an
excuse for delaying or not doing worthwhile P2.

RC

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
Mediator, Attorney & Counselor at Law
9901 IH-10 West, Suite 800