Re: FW: Tellus Institute & EPA Environmental Accounting Project

I rarely enter these discussions, but I was so astounded by this comment ("What purpose is there to reducing pollution outside the scope of the regulatory framework?") that I could not contain myself. If the writer really meant this the way it seems, then we are certainly living in different worlds. Those of us who are in the P2 (Pollution Prevention) world are there because we want to do just that: prevent pollution. As I see it, this past century will go down in history (if there is a future!) as the Century of Global Pollution. Now it is time not only to clean up that mess---and in the process perhaps reduce the environmental and human health disasters attendant---but to keep it from happening in the future. Whether one lives for the moment or believes in sustainable human activities, there are benefits that go far beyond the "regulatory framework." I hope I just misunderstood what the writer was asking, rhetorically or otherwise.

L.B. Sandy Rock, MD, MPH
Interpretive Consultations/Risk Communication
"Not everybody can live upstream."
http://www.sandyrock.com
sandyrock@sandyrock.com
P.O. Box 7235
Bellevue, WA   98008-1235
(425) 373-0053
FAX:  (425) 373-0053

Project Consultant
I-131 Environmental Health Education Project
American College of Preventive Medicine/ATSDR

Environment and Health Research Director
Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center
At PPRC: (206) 352-2050
www.pprc.org

Instructor
Environmental Science
Bellevue Community College
www.sandyrock.com/environm.htm
srock@bcc.ctc.edu
(425) 564-6178

Chair
Environment and Health Committee
Washington Physicians for Social Responsibility

Director
s.e.n.s.e.
P.O. Box 2308
Redmond, WA  98073-2308
Voice Mail: 425-818-7736
havesomesense@hotmail.com
"Solutions for the Elimination of Neighborhood woodSmoke Emissions"

From: "Eun-Sook Goidel" <esgoidel@pprc.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:32:42 -0800

--
L.B. Sandy Rock, MD, MPH