Fwd: P2 Guidance

The Air Force has a manual devoted to the topic of "Compliance Through
Pollution Prevention."
<http://www.pojasek-associates.com/Activities/CTP2%20Guide%20Interim%20Final%20rev2.pdf>
This guide will be on the new EPA CD-ROM that will accompany the new
soon-to-be-published "An Organizational Guide to Pollution
Prevention."  The Air Force looked at its compliance site inventory and
made the translation to "processes."  Compliance through P2 means changing
the processes so that compliance is no longer required.  This approach is
mandated by a Presidential Executive Order and part of the government Code
of Environmental Management Principles (CEMP) program
<http://es.epa.gov/oeca/fedfac/complian/emsrcemp.pdf>.  Your example of pre
treatment is NOT pollution prevention.  You have to go upstream to see
where the wastewater sources are located - in what processes.  Pollution
prevention happens at the source, not at a treatment system.  I hope this
information helps.

Bob Pojasek

>Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:08:25 -0500
>From: Buxbaum.Diane@epamail.epa.gov
>Subject: P2 Guidance
>To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
>Sender: owner-p2tech@great-lakes.net
>
>Does anyone have any information that can answer the question posed to
>me as stated below? Any good internet references?
>
>diane
>
>Diane Buxbaum, USEPA Region 2, NY, NY
>
>I am looking for any EPA guidance on Pollution Prevention vs. Back-end
>control, specifically is P2 a preferred method of obtaining compliance
>and is there any flexibility offered when P2 is the chosen method of
>compliance, particularly in the area of pretreatment under the CWA.
>
>Thank you for your assistance.

Bob

Dr. Robert B. Pojasek
Pojasek & Associates