From: Jeff Lewis [mailto:Jeff.Lewis@epa.state.oh.us]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 9:31 AM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Dry Cleaner Perc Mileage

Our office is doing a P2 assessment for an industrial dry cleaning facility.

The facility uses perchloroethylene (perc) in two newer dry-to-dry machines.
The facility exclusively dry cleans industrial work gloves.
We are looking for a benchmark to use to compare this facility's perc usage
(mileage).

Our preliminary calculations indicate 158 lbs. rags cleaned per gallon perc
used.
Can anyone offer any insight on whether this perc usage is in range for what
should be expected
for dry cleaning work gloves?

We realize there are several factors that effect actual perc consumption.
While we have seen some reference to perc mileage benchmarks for commercial
retail dry cleaning establishments, we have not come across any
similar figures for industrial dry cleaners (and work gloves).

Any observations or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff Lewis
Ohio EPA/Office of Pollution Prevention
Lazarus Government Center