From: Ralph Cooper [mailto:cooperre@flash.net]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 5:50 AM
To: Burton Hamner; p2tech; ECDM; AP CP List
Subject: Re: P2 and National Security

Doing a good job of accident prevention is also pollution prevention since pollution is almost always associated with accidents that involve chemical substances.  When I taught seminars on how to prevent chemical accidents, the first step was to identify the possible events that could lead to an unplanned and/or uncontrolled chemical release, including human error (stupidity or cupidity-(;-)!).  Then, after assessing severity of consequences and probability, and organizing the events into hierarchies, find ways to reduce severity and probability of each event, by engineering, procedures, training, etc.  Then do the response training.

This process reduces risk from intentional as well as unintentional events.  It starts with the idea that we can prevent much pollution associated with unplanned and/or uncontrolled releases of chemical substances.

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
Mediator and Attorney at Law
9901 IH-10 West, Suite 800
San Antonio, TX 78230