From: Janet Clark [mailto:clarkjan@turi.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 1:34 PM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net
Subject: adhesives

HI Listies,

This is an interesting question about adhesives.  Please post your response
to Jeff as he is not on this list.  We want to hear your responses too, so
include posting to p2tech!

Janet Clark
MA TURI

I am a shoemaker living in Stratford, Ontario.  I
am presently developing an eco-friendly shoe made of recycled materials.  I
create shoes using a variety of post-consumer materials, such as reclaimed
burlap coffee sacks, tires and intertubes, unusable clothing, dryer lint,
etc.  While my project is still in the incubation stages, I wish to make
them as environmentally friendly as possible.

I have spent much time recently investigating environmentally-friendlier
adhesives that might be available, unfortunately to little avail.  This is
where I am hope you might be able to help me.  The commonly used adhesive
for shoemaking is Barge All-Purpose Cement (manufactured by Quabaug).  I am
looking to replace Barge with something less harmful to the environment
(and myself).  Any commercially available "eco-friendly" adhesives (such as
Pres-Tite Green Contact Cement) do not have the strength or durability
sufficient for holding together a pair of shoes.  I was wondering if you
knew of any adhesives that are available that might help, or if you knew of
anyone that I should be approaching to aid me in this search.

The other product that I am looking to replace is Rubber Latex.  I presently

treat old burlap coffee sacks with Rubber Latex to create a "Leather
Alternative".  Do you know if there is some type of natural alternative that

has similar properties to rubber latex?

If you have any questions or need further information, feel free to contact
me.  You can e-mail me at blue_pariah@hotmail.com or I can be reached via
the phone at (519) 273-0586.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.  Any insight you may
have would be very much appreciated.  I was very impressed by what TURI is
doing.  I'm glad the Toronto Environmental Alliance turned me on to your
Institute.  Thanks again!

Keep up the good work,

Jeff Churchill
blue_pariah@hotmail.com