From: Illig, Richard [mailto:rillig@state.pa.us]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 5:11 AM
To: Shupe, Kevin
Cc: 'P2TECH'; Foreman, William; Young, James
Subject: RE: P2 and National Security

Kevin,

In your response to Burt you mentioned the following..."The Anarchists Cookbook provides a checklist for raids on high school labs;"

Is this a figurative expression (I'm hoping), or have you actually seen some publication or website where that specific topic is discussed?  Although many of us may have heard this sort of thing, I never looked for documentation to prove the point.

Schools are hesitant to acknowledge that chemical storerooms could be an issue for students let alone a tool for radical groups.  Any publication or website that discusses the potential, or provide an actual chemical "shopping list", could actually serve as a tool in educating school personnel that a very real danger does exist and, to some extent, exactly what chemicals to avoid.  In other words, perhaps the "terrorists-types" have performed some useful work which we can use to our advantage.

I hesitate to use or advertise negative examples to make a case for improvement, but in this instance I think I'd re-consider.  If terrorist websites or publications can serve to pave the way for more schools to get involved in the program, maybe it would be good to arm ourselves with a few of the terrorist's "tools" for a change.  Studying their websites may provide much of what we need to know.

Comments from others would be appreciated.  Thanks, Ric