Re: Effluent Trading?

There is the following:

Sharing the Load: Effluent Trading for Indirect Dischargers  http://www.epa.gov/ispd/sharing.pdf
This final report provides lessons learned from the New Jersey Chemical Industry Project's Effluent Trading Team in implementing the first-ever trade of local pretreatment limits among indirect dischargers.

The project was one of several of the New Jersey Chemical Industry Project: A Sector-Based Approach to "Cleaner, Cheaper, Smarter http://www.chemalliance.org/Columns/Enforcement/Enf000317.htm
A collaborative project to help the batch chemical manufacturing industry in New Jersey adopt a "cleaner, cheaper, smarter" approach to environmental management.

The above information was taken from the Small Chemical Manufacturers Pollution Prevention Initiative's P2 Resource webpage http://www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/p2sect/scmp2i/resources.html

>>> "Burton Hamner" <bhamner@cleanerproduction.com> 12/12/01 05:14PM >>>
Hi!  Does anyone have info on effluent trading as a way to promote wastewater pollution prevention?  I have heard a bit here and there about it.  It seems a fascinating idea that would by necessity be managed at the local level.  The pending EPA standards on Total Maximum Daily Loading are starting to get municipal folks worked up, and effluent trading seems like it might be a handy approach for water P2.  Please let me know if you have any info or sources, I am helping design a workshop and this might be something we would feature.  Thanks very much.

Burt Hamner