Re: Effluent Trading?

Michigan DEQ, Surface Water has a water quality trading program.  I think it is still in the pilot stage but may be of some interest.  We also have an air trading program that has been operational for years.  Here's the site for the water program:
http://www.deq.state.mi.us/swq/trading/temp5x.htm

>>> "Burton Hamner" <bhamner@cleanerproduction.com> 12/12/01 05:14PM >>>
Hi!  Does anyone have info on effluent trading as a way to promote wastewater pollution prevention?  I have heard a bit here and there about it.  It seems a fascinating idea that would by necessity be managed at the local level.  The pending EPA standards on Total Maximum Daily Loading are starting to get municipal folks worked up, and effluent trading seems like it might be a handy approach for water P2.  Please let me know if you have any info or sources, I am helping design a workshop and this might be something we would feature.  Thanks very much.

Burt Hamner