P2&security items

Rodney's 2nd comment reminds me of what my env. studies professor used to tell us back in 1975:  "the great war won't be between the east and the west.  It'll be between the north and the south."  I thought of that a lot after 9/11.

Kathy Barwick
Office of Pollution Prevention
   and Technology Development
(916) 323-9560
fax (916) 327-4494
kbarwick@dtsc.ca.gov

>>> Rodney Sobin <rsobin@deq.state.va.us> 12/13/01 05:25AM >>>
Dear colleagues--

Two, two postings in one
Re Effluent trading

World Resources Institute:Market-based water quality management yields
cleaner water at lower cost   http://www.igc.org/wri/press/fertile_ground.html

Chesapeake Bay Program trading page--has links to other pertinent sites
http://www.chesapeakebay.net/trading.htm

Lower Boise (Idaho) effluent trading demo project
http://www2.state.id.us/deq/Water/tmdls/lowerboise_effluent/lowerboiseriver_eff
luent.htm

A somewhat dated (1999) bibliography
http://www.fwb2k.org/newsletter/july1999/newtradebiblio.htm

More can be found by searching "effluent trading" on a search engine.
Re Environment and security

For those interested in exploring the P2-national security issue more broadly
as environment and security, there's growing literature on the topic of
"environmental security."  Actually DOD has a Deputy Undersecretary for
Environmental Security and the CIA has funded work on environmental
indicators as possible predictors of social and political instability.

Much of the literature is about the possible connections between resource
degradation and political instability, either within nations or between
nations.  Will countries fight over water?  Might climate change lead to
environmental refugees fleeing low-lying regions?  Does resource degradation
and pollution foment civil disorder [remember the environmental activist
executed in Nigeria some time back; or how a retired Russian naval officer
has been harassed by the Russian security apparatus for reporting on their
defense nuclear mess].

There's a bibliography at http://www.pnl.gov/ces/academic/runci.htm and
course syllabus at
http://webpub.alleg.edu/employee/m/mmaniate/GepEd/dalby99.htm
Search for "environmental security" on a decent search engine for more.
Rodney Sobin
Innovative Technology Manager
P.O. Box 10009				629 E.Main St.
Richmond VA 23240-0009		Richmond VA 23219-2429
rsobin@deq.state.va.us
Tel. 804-698-4382
Fax 804-698-4264
http://www.deq.state.va.us