RE: US Ski Industry

LAKEWOOD, Colo., November 27, 2001 - The National Ski Areas Association
(NSAA) launched a new on-line environmental database today at www.nsaa.org.
The "Green Room" environmental database is another milestone for the
industry's Sustainable Slopes environmental program, launched in June 2000.
Approximately 75 percent of the U.S. resort industry has endorsed the
Sustainable Slopes program, which includes a comprehensive set of
Environmental Principles aimed at improving resorts' environmental
performance across the board.
Media and the public can enter the Green Room to obtain information on
innovative actions that resorts are taking under twenty-one (21) different
environmental topics--from water quality to wildlife habitat to energy
conservation. Resort contact information is provided for each project or
program, as well as links to resort websites and/or environmental web pages.
"Resorts can use the database as a resource in environmental decision-making
and to share ideas on tested programs or projects that will enhance
environmental performance," said Michael Berry, NSAA president. The database
also identifies those resorts that have received national environmental
excellence awards from Time4 Media's Mountain Sports Media, publishers of
SKI, SKIING and other publications. The Green Room is user-friendly,
allowing visitors to search for information by resort name, environmental
topics, or using a keyword search.
"The Green Room is full of concrete examples of resorts implementing
Sustainable Slopes for the benefit of the environment," said NSAA Public
Policy Director Geraldine Link. "It is an impressive collection and
demonstrates the industry's strong commitment to environmental stewardship."

Looks like it's got a pretty strong ski industry spin, but I thought this
might be of interest.

Kevin Dick
Business Environmental Program
Nevada Small Business Development Center
University of Nevada, Reno
(775) 689-6677
(775) 689-6689 fax
dick@unr.edu