Re: EMS Advisory Tool - Guidance for Developing a P2-focused EMS

Dear Mr Kiefer:
Thanks for your interest in this.  I posted the draft of the EMS P2 advisory
tool with no specific deadline for comments, and hope that people like you
would be interested in it!  Please do have your group review and comment on
it.  I expect it will eventually be incorporated into the Topic Hub on EMS
for Small Business (or anyone actually), now on line at

http://p2ric.org/TopicHubs/toc.cfm?hub=9&subsec=7&nav=7

I contributed a lot of the research on this, and Rick Yoder at U Nebraska
and co. did the great presentation and organization.

Below are the substantive comments that I have received back so far, all
from individuals (thanks guys).  I am still hoping for more input, hint hint
you P2techies.  Actually why not create a deadline, since P2RIC needs to get
it up on line sometime.  But Christmas is upon us....  How about last call
for comments by January 30?  Any other groups want to make an "official"
contribution?  The original post is attached below.

Burt Hamner
bhamner@cleanerproduction.com

***
there are several of the 10 elements that you could incorporate the supply
chain into at some level.  e.g., evaluation/assessments, request them to do
some DfE, help them
establish goals/objectives, offer education/training/assistance, ask
suppliers for participation in meeting your env'l goals/targets, ...
***
We, at Sandia Labs in Albuquerque, are using New Mexico's Green Zia program
to aid in the development of an environmental management system.  There is
one aspect of the program I have found to be particularly effective in my
facilities sessions.  That is the word "how."  Often, people THINK they have
a good EMS in place but when asked to specifically state how they do
something, the answers start to get vague.  For instance, your first
statement under Environmental Policy could read:  "How does your
organization involve all staff at all levels to create practical solution
for process and environmental improvement?"  We write out these questions in
a matrix and follow them with some blank spaces for the participating
organization to fill in.  The blanks are titled:  "What we do now" and
"Actions--When and Who".  This way, we create a working document for
implementation in our meetings.
I would like to see more information on actual implementation.  What tools
are used, what are the barriers, etc., etc.
***
oACKNOWLEDGE IN THE POLICY STATEMENT THAT POLLUTION PREVENTION PAYS AND THAT
P2
IS THE FOUNDATION FOR EACH ELEMENT OF THE EMS.
***
Ensure materials are tracked.  Develop measures of waste, use/waste
efficiency, use/product efficiency.
Ensure options analysis is complete and up-to-date and continuous.
Ensure expenses are allocated to the source and that options analysis is
done on the basis of full cost accounting.
Ensure performance rewards are tied to these concrete measurements.
Ensure creative suggestions are solicited and rewarded at all levels.
***