From: Buxbaum.Diane@epamail.epa.gov
[mailto:Buxbaum.Diane@epamail.epa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 12:39 PM
To: p2tech@great-lakes.net; harriman@turi.org; wcass@newmoa.org
Subject: Classification and Definition of catalyzed and thermose resin
items

This is a message I received from one of our enforcement team.  There is
a conflict right now because of an enforcement action, but it has been
suggested that try to help the facility as much as possible.  This is an
educational facility and has art classes.  They need sources of
information on defining this type of waste and how to safely and legally
dispose of it. Can anyone provide the information or sources?   diane
buxbaum

The Physical Plant people are telling them that they have to dispose of
all catalyzed and thermoset(?) resin items (fiberglass-like stuff) as
hazardous waste.  As a result, they have to curtail the modelling that
their students do.  However, this professor is trying to determine if
catalyzed/thermoset plastic resins (hardened, that is) are treated the
same for disposal as would the liquid ingredients that create it.

>From a waste determination standpoint, I know the answer would be that
they'd have to coinsider it.  But from a practical perspective, I don't
know the post-reaction chemistry well enough to know what would be
hazardous, as well as what might be leachable.

Have you looked into this for any reason?  Are there any good sources on
art wastes that you can refer him to?  I won't have time to look into it
for a few weeks, so I'm hoping you can handle it.  It seems like there
must be some good reference out there, but I don't know of any.

Diane D. Buxbaum,  M.P.H.
Environmental Scientist
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency  Region 2
DECA/CAPSB
290 Broadway, 21 East
New York, NY 10007
phone: 212-637-3919